Tuesday 12 October 2010

Oop, ooer splat!!!

As the title suggests, another crash was not enjoyed last week! It was down to diesel this time and there was bugger all I could do about it. One minute I was riding along and the next, everything went sideways with the inevitable SPLAT at the end. Landing heavilly on my thigh/elbow I slid to a halt yelling blue murder at the person who'd done the deed in spilling said diesel!!! I wouldnt mind so much but all the other diesel patches were either visible or you could smell it. Not this one though, definately not cricket.

As I went inside a kindly lady's house for a cup of sweet tea, head spinning and rather a large piece of skin having gone astray, the builder next door came in to say two cars had just hit each other in the same place!

What happened next was obviously the local highlight of the week as police and paramedics turned up to check us all out and the village suddenly came alive with rubberneckers who came to see what was happening. Not much really, I was on my second tea, being given the once over from the paramedic (who noted my excellent blood pressure and heart rate readings!!) the young woman in one of the cars was hysterical from shock and the passenger in the other suddenly decided he had bad neck and back pain ( despite a collision speed of 4/5 mph!!)
Another kind gent offered me a lift home, and I folded the bike and accepted his offer.

The rest of the week was a bit like the Hartland trip, but worse. The next day I had 2 wisdom teeth removed, just to ensure the whole of the right side was in pain at the same time. The car alternator packed up, and muggins here must have left the handbrake off or something because after a sleep I went out to find the car gone! It hadnt gone far mind, I found it embedded in the downstairs toilet of one of the neighbours. Boy, it had really made a mess of the extension wall.
So, I think I might put that down to being a bad week!

The week after was mostly about dealing with the missing skin, bruising, car insurance, teeth and increasingly sore neck, but not to be perturbed, I eventually got back on the bike and 'hey presto' all of that was put into perspective.

I'm off to the shops now. A lovely 20 mile round trip with the trailer. The sun is shining, and I'm hoping lightning doesnt strike twice, at least for a while anyway!! Take care out there, it's winter.

2 comments:

  1. Poor You!!! :(

    Hey. there was a lot of talk of investment/ partnership fro, MIND at the Cycle show. Sadly I don't know more, I've been asked to do the pink and fluffy welfare officer bit of the Inclusive Cycling Forum. Which is nice because it means I get to go to all the meets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Graeme, we enjoyed chatting to you in Okehampton last Tuesday and learning of your expedition next May. Thanks for explaining all about your superb machine and trailer.
    We will follow your blogs with great interest.
    Best wishes
    Peter+Denise

    ReplyDelete